New Resident Vehicle Registration-New Mexico
Welcome to New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment! To view all of the enchantment our great state has to offer, you’ll need a car. And before you can use that car, you’ll need to register it.
Registering a Vehicle as a New Resident in Albuquerque and Greater New Mexico
Once you become a resident of New Mexico, you have 60 days to register your car. When you visit MVD Express, make sure to bring the following for a smooth vehicle registration:
- Your emissions testing certificate
- A complete application for Vehicle Title and Registration
- The title or another document of ownership (if your title needs to be requested from the lien holder, this may require a second trip to the MVD Express office to finalize your transaction once the title is received
- Proof of identity from the person(s) on the title
- Two proof of physical address if address on your ID/DL is incorrect or if you are not a New Mexico resident
- Current emissions test (only for Bernalillo County residents)
- Proof of insurance
- Current auto insurance card OR
- A copy of your current auto insurance policy OR
- A letter on company letterhead from your insurance company verifying auto coverage
- Odometer disclosure
- VIN inspection and verification for vehicles being titled from out of state
If your title is unavailable, you can bring in the car’s registration document along with the lien holder’s information so we may formally request the title.
Vehicle registration will depend on the year, model and weight of your vehicle. Call or visit any of our locations to find out more about fees.
Additional information about the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County emissions testing program can be found online at www.cabq.gov/aircare or by phone at 505-764-1110.
MVD Express — The Place for New Resident’s Vehicle Registration
MVD Express is here to meet all of your Albuquerque, NM new resident vehicle registration needs. We’ll help you through registering a vehicle with knowledgeable, helpful and fast service so that you can Get In, Get Done and Get Going!
Call your local MVD Express today to talk to one of our helpful staff members!
575-373-1367 in Las Cruces
505-294-1732 for all Other Offices
MVD Express is proud to serve New Mexico with locations in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Los Lunas, Santa Fe and Las Cruces.