New Mexico is changing the documentation requirements for issuing driver’s licenses and non-driver identification cards in order to comply with the federal Real ID Act of 2005. Beginning November 14, 2016, MVD Express will enact the new documentation requirements, so find out what you need to Get In, Get Out, Get Done.


  • If your proof of identity document (birth certificate, social security card, passport, etc.) does not contain your current full legal name, you must present official documents reflecting any name change(s). This may include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption records or court order.
  • In a case of multiple name changes, you must present official documents for each name change. Divorce decrees must reference the maiden name or former name before marriage.
  • If your passport or identity document contains your current legal name, you do not need to provide proof of a name change.

Learn more about Real ID and how it affects you here.