New Mexico has been granted an extension under the Real ID Act of 2005 that allows current state-issued driver’s licenses and IDs to be accepted for boarding commercial flights. Until 2020*, you may continue to renew and use the non-federal-compliant driver’s license, which is now referred to as a Driver Authorization Card (DAC).

In order to get or renew your DAC, you need the right documents to establish proof of identity and age, federal identification number and New Mexico residency. The list of acceptable documents is below.


Documents that Establish Proof of Identity and Age
One (1) of the following, or if no documents from LIST B are provided (i.e. applicant does not have SSN), two (2) of the following are required:
  1. Passport or Passport Card from the applicant’s country of citizenship if not verified through the Systematic Alien Verification Entitlements System (SAVE)
  2. Original or Certified copy of birth certificate
  3. Consular report of birth abroad issued by the US Dept. of State form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545
  4. Employment authorization document issued by Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS), Form I-766 or Form I-688B, verified through SAVE
  5. ID Card issued by the Consulate of Mexico in El Paso, TX or Albuquerque, NM, or other consulate with which NM MVD can reliably verify document’s authenticity
  6. Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  7. Certified letter of enrollment issued by federally recognized Indian nation, tribe or pueblo
  8. Valid ID Card issued by federally recognized Indian nation, tribe or pueblo
  9. Affidavit of Indian birth
  10. State issued driver’s license, driver’s license issued by a US Territory or by jurisdiction of Canada, with photograph and has not been expired more than a year
  11. State government-issued photo ID card or photo ID card issued by U.S. Territory or by jurisdiction of Canada with photograph and has not been expired more than a year
  12. American Indian or Alaskan proof of Indian blood, certificate of degree of Indian blood, federal Indian census card or tribal membership card
  13. Photo ID card issued by the U.S. Military, US Coast Guard or New Mexico National Guard
  14. ID document issued by the US Veterans Administration so long as it is accompanied by a US Veterans Administration medical center identification card
  15. US active duty/retiree/reservist military ID card (DOD ID DD-2)
  16. US, state or local government-issued photo ID issued based on name, social security number and date of birth
  17. N560 or N561 Certificate of Citizenship if verified in SAVE
  18. N550 or N570 Certificate of Naturalization if verified in SAVE
  19. I-551 Permanent resident card issued by the US government if verified in SAVE
  20. I-551 resident alien card issued since 1997 if verified in SAVE
  21. Current New Mexico license or ID card (must not be expired)
  22. Certified copy of foreign birth certificate with a notarized English translation if not in English
  23. State government-issued photo learner’s permit issued by US Territory or by jurisdiction of Canada with photograph and has not been expired more than a year
Documents that Establish Proof of Identification Number
One of the following, or applicant may use one (1) item from LIST B in place of one of the required documents from LIST A if the customer has SSN.
  1. Social Security Number Card
  2. W-2 Form
  3. SSA-1099
  4. Non-SSA-1099 form
  5. Pay stub that displays applicant’s name and Social Security Number

In conjunction with LIST A and LIST B, the applicant must also provide two (2) of the following documents to establish proof of New Mexico Residency:

  1. Current real property rental or purchase agreement
  2. Local property tax statement or mortgage documents

The following documents must be dated within 60 days:

  1. Utility bill, except cell phone bills
  2. Insurance bill, card or binder
  3. Bank or credit card statement
  4. Employment pay stub containing applicant’s name and address
  5. Documentation from an education institution
  6. Original documents from city, county, state, tribal or federal government organization or community organization (dated within 60 days) attesting to the fact that the applicant is a New Mexico resident
  7. A New Mexico medical or public assistance card with address, letter from issuing agency that came with card or profile printout from issuing agency

Applicants under 18 may also provide:

  1. Documents indicating membership in a NM religious or sports organization
  2. Affidavit of NM Residency (Form MVD-10021)

For more information on the documentation requirements for non-federal compliant Driver Authorization Cards and state-issued IDs, or if you have a question about whether or not a particular document or form of ID is acceptable for your New Mexico DAC please contact us.


  • If your proof of identity document (birth certificate, social security card, passport, etc.) does not contain your current full legal name, you must present official documents reflecting any name change(s). This may include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption records or court order.
  • In a case of multiple name changes, you must present official documents for each name change. Divorce decrees must reference the maiden name or former name before marriage.
  • If your passport or identity document contains your current legal name, you do not need to provide proof of a name change.

Please note: These documentation requirements are acceptable for the issuance of non-commercial driver’s licenses. Please see MVD Driver’s Manual for details about documentation required for CDLs.

* Expiration date of New Mexico’s extension is tentative and subject to change by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).