The final step to obtaining your New Mexico driver’s license (and driving freedom) is the road test. It’s perfectly natural to feel anxiety when they’re preparing for and taking the test, but there are general guidelines that you can follow to make the experience a lot easier on your nerves. When you’re preparing for and taking your driver’s license road test:
- Know and respect the New Mexico traffic laws (speed, changing lanes, etc.)
- Get lots of sleep the night before the test
- Have a good meal before you check in
- Wear your seatbelt the entire time you’re in the car
- Remain courteous to your test administrator
And definitely DO NOT:
- Drive like you’re playing Grand Theft Auto
- Change lanes without checking and signaling
- Exceed the speed limit
- Drive distractedly
- Break any other New Mexico traffic laws
Follow the traffic laws, drive safely and courteously and you’ll be on your way to passing the driver’s license road test!
Once You Pass Your Test
Once you pass your test (congratulations!), you’ll need to take care of a few final steps while you’re here with us. You’ll need to:
- Take an eye exam
- Provide proof that you passed the written test
- Provide necessary documentation (ID, Social Security Card, Proof of New Mexico residency)
If you are under the age of 18, you’ll also need a parent or legal guardian present to get your graduated driver’s license. You’ll get a temporary driver’s license the day you pass your test and the permanent one in a few weeks later in the mail.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Do you feel ready to take your driver’s license road test? Great! Call a friendly customer service agent at MVD Express today to schedule your appointment. Chances are, you’d have to wait six to eight weeks to take your test anywhere else. Depending on availability, we can sometimes get you in the same day that you call!