You rely on your car for a lot. Going to work or school, the grocery store or the bank usually has you opting to hop into your car to make the trip instead of walking, biking or catching the bus. When you spend so much time in it, it’s only natural to want to preserve the life of your car for as long as possible.
Car Care Tips
Sure, taking your car in for regular maintenance from a reputable, trained mechanic can extend the life of your car. But what about on a day-to-day basis? Here are 5 tips to help you extend the life of your car that you can complete yourself:
- Find a gas station with a pump filter.Lack of a fuel pump filter can let gas filled with sediment and other debris into your car, damaging your gas tank and possibly your engine. Ask your gas station if they use a pump filter. If they don’t, consider changing stations.
- Don’t fill up if you see a fuel tanker. Every so often, the underground fuel reserves have to be refilled. But when the refueling process happens, it stirs up sediment from the bottom of the reservoir. Even if your station uses a pump filter, sediment can still leak into your tank and will build up over time.
- Keep your weather stripping in good condition. If your weather stripping is in poor condition, it can allow dirt and rain to leak in to the interior of your car and damage the inside of the door panels.
- Empty your car. Carrying an unnecessary load in your will put more strain on your engine, body and tires. Empty your car out to only carry what is necessary and you’ll put less strain on your car.
- Keep your tires inflated at the proper PSI. Too much air can cause a blowout, damaging the wheel and possibly even the body of your car. Too little air, and your engine is working harder to cover the same amount of distance. Check your owner’s manual for updated information.
Keeping your car in tip-top condition means you won’t have to trade it in or buy a new one sooner. Although we love to see you in here to title a new vehicle or to get it registered, we know that you’d rather do other things with your time. Like hang out with your cat. 🙂
Can’t Help Yourself?
We understand if the thought of not seeing us sooner was too much for you to take and you couldn’t help but to buy a new vehicle. Stop in to any of our locations for VIN inspections, CARFAX reports, registration or titling for your new car today!