New Resident Driver’s License
If you’ve recently moved to New Mexico, you’ll need to obtain a new resident driver’s license to legally drive a motor vehicle. At MVD Express , we pride ourselves on providing fast and efficient DMV services so you can get on the road without any hassle. From driver’s license exams to road tests and license plate sales, we can accommodate all your motor vehicle needs. Stop by one of our MVD locations in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe or Las Cruces today or give us a call to schedule an appointment! Our primary services include:
- Driver’s License Renewal
- Interlock Licenses
- Learner’s Permits/ Provisional Driver’s Licenses
- License Reinstatement
- New to NM Licenses
- Replacing Lost Licenses
New Resident Driver’s Licenses in New Mexico
Whether you’ve relocated to New Mexico for a job, family, or change of scenery, it is critical to obtain a new resident driver’s license to operate a car or motorcycle. When you visit one of our locations for a new driver’s license, please bring the following documentation on your visit:
- Your Current Driver’s License
- Original Birth Certificate (proof of identity)
- Original Social Security Card(proof of identification number)
- Two Proofs of Current Physical Address
- “None for the Road” – 18 to 24 DWI Home Study Click for “None for the Road” info PDF
If your proof of identity document (birth certificate) does not reflect your current legal name then you will need to provide the document(s) for your name change (marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order). The document(s) that you present to support your current legal name must be original or a certified copy.
* Please note that the “None for the Road” DWI Home Study is only for people seeking a new state driver’s license who are between the ages of 18 and 24. If you need more information about what documentation is needed, see our ‘What to Bring’ page, or contact us with any questions you have about obtaining a new driver’s license. “None for the Road” will also be required if you have been convicted of a DUI/DWI in another state.
All new driver’s licenses are centrally issued at a single, secure manufacturing facility and then mailed to the cardholder. New driver’s licenses or ID cards are generally received within seven to ten business days, but delivery time may take up to 40 days. When you apply for your license at MVD Express, you will receive a temporary license to use while you wait for your permanent card to be delivered. It is advised that you carry your prior driver’s license with you (this will be returned to you with a hole punched in it) as back-up identification. All males between the ages of 18 and 26 must sign up for Selective Service to receive a Driver’s License or State ID.