The REAL ID driver’s licenses and ID cards are a result of the REAL ID Act of 2005. This act was created following the 9/11 attacks in an effort to increase security and prevent identity theft and fraud in the United States. As a result, the REAL ID cards require more documentation than standard driver’s licenses and other identification cards to protect your identity and ensure that you are who you say you are.

At MVD Express, we make it easy to obtain a REAL ID driver’s license or ID card. Not only are we available by phone to answer any and all questions regarding the requirements for the REAL ID, but we also offer live wait times and the option to schedule an appointment in advance, allowing you to get in and out quickly.

What You Will Need

You will need a variety of different documents in order to obtain your REAL ID. The list of acceptable documents for the REAL ID is as follows:

Documents that Establish Proof of Identification Number
One (1) of the following:
  1. Social Security Number Card
  2. W-2 Form
  3. SSA-1099
  4. Non-SSA-1099 form
  5. Paystub that displays applicant’s name and Social Security Number
Documents that Establish Proof of Identity and Age
 One (1) of the following:
  1. Current US Passport or US Passport Card
  2. Foreign Passport with I-551 stamp
  3. Original or Certified copy of a birth certificate
  4. Consular report of birth abroad issued by the US Dept. of State form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545
  5. Permanent resident card (Form I-551) issued by US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) or Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS)
  6. Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS (Form N-550 or Form N-570)
  7. Certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS (Form N-560 or Form N-561)
  8. Employment authorization document issued by DHS (Form I-766 or Form I-688B) verified through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System (SAVE)
  9. Foreign passport with unexpired U.S. Visa affixed, accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the U.S., verified by SAVE
  10. Foreign passport w/visa and I-94
  11. REAL ID act of 2005 driver’s license or ID card. If presented, see below for a list of additional documents required in conjunction with this form of ID.
  12. Affidavit of Indian Birth
Documents that Establish Proof of New Mexico Residency
Two (2) of the following:
  1.  Current real property rental or purchase agreement
  2. Local property tax statement or mortgage documents
  3. Insurance bill, card or binder dated within 6 months
  4. A New Mexico medical or public assistance card with an address, a letter from issuing agency that came with card or profile printout from issuing
  5. Original documents from city, county, state, tribal, or federal government organization or community organization (dated within 60 days) attesting to the fact that the applicant is a New Mexico resident
The following documents must be dated within 60 days:
  1. Utility bill, except cell phone bills
  2. Bank or credit card statement
  3. Employment pay stub containing the applicant’s name and address
  4. Documentation from an education institution
Applicants under 18 may also provide:
  1. Documents indicating membership in a NM religious or sports organization
  2. Affidavit of NM Residency (Form MVD-10021)

PO Box is not a Valid Address for Proof of Residency

Call Today!

Are you ready to obtain your REAL ID driver’s license or ID card? MVD Express has a variety of locations throughout New Mexico, so find a location near you and schedule an appointment today! We look forward to helping you.