Although the Holiday season is officially over, many people still choose this time to go on road trips with their family, or to visit relatives in another city or state. Going out of town, especially during winter storms, can be dangerous. You can mitigate the danger of traveling by following the tips we’ve outlined below.
Road Trip Tips
Everyone wants to get to their destination safely and on time. You can assure you and your family’s safety, as well as the safety of others, by using these road trip travel tips to get where you need to go.
- Checking the road conditions. Before you go, it’ll be helpful to know if you’re going to encounter any icy patches or snow. This is especially important if you’re going to be traveling through any mountain passes.
- Tell someone where you’re going. Give them an estimated time of arrival so they know when to expect you to check in. If you’re late, that person can alert authorities.
- Prepare for anything. Have snacks, water, warm blankets and extra clothes packed in your vehicle before you leave.
- Take mental notes as you drive. Keep in mind where the nearest gas station or rest station is and how long ago you passed it.
- Take a map. Sometimes GPS can be faulty. Always bring a map of the area you’re going to be in just in case you get lost and end up in an unfamiliar place.
- Be prepared for basic car maintenance. Always make sure the spare is inflated and that you have a tire jack. A tire patch kit, jumper cables, can of gas, and flares are essentials, too.
- Take turns at the wheel. If you have another person with you that can legally drive, always take turns at the wheel. If you do not, take frequent rest stops and don’t feel badly about delaying your trip for a good night’s rest in a hotel.
These trip tips can help you be prepared and alert during your road trip. Last, but not least, remember to have fun! This can be a great time to get to bond with your family.
Make Sure You Have the Right Documents Before Leaving
There’s nothing like getting pulled over in another city or state and not being able to produce your registration papers or your title. Come into MVD Express today to ensure you’re current with all motor vehicle documents before you leave! We’ll get you in, done and on your way in no time at all!