Let’s be honest — nobody likes going to the MVD, but every once in a while you will need to make the trip. Luckily, if you live in New Mexico, MVD Express makes it easy for you to get in, get out, and get going. We offer all of the MVD services that you would find at a traditional facility, but we boast shorter wait times and friendly service that you can count on. We even give you the option to schedule your appointment in advance! If it’s time for you to visit the MVD, contact MVD Express or visit one of our 10 locations across New Mexico today!
What to Do If Your Vehicle Registration Is Late or Expired
Uh-oh! You’re looking down at your vehicle registration (hopefully not because an officer pulled you over) and realize that it’s out of date. What do you do?
If you notice that your vehicle registration is expired, you’ll be happy to know that renewing it is extremely easy. In fact, you can renew your expired registration at any time! That being said, you will have to keep in mind that there may be some consequences for failing to renew your vehicle on time, such as:
- A $10 fine if you renew within 30 days of expiration
- A fee of 75 percent of your renewal cost, in addition to the normal registration fee
When you go into the MVD to renew your registration, you will need payment for costs and fees, as well as:
- Your driver’s license or a valid ID
- Your car’s VIN number
- Documentation of a passed emissions test
- Proof of insurance in the state of New Mexico
How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration
It’s easy to make a mistake like forgetting to renew your vehicle registration. However, in New Mexico, renewing your registration is easy. The motor vehicle department gives you three different ways to renew your vehicle, allowing you to even complete the process from the comfort of your own home! These methods include:
- Mail your registration form: When you receive a letter from the motor vehicle department saying that it’s time to renew your registration, you have the option of filling out the form and mailing it back to the MVD. When you mail the form, don’t forget to include a check for either a one-year or two-year renewal.
- Renew your registration online: One of the easiest and most convenient ways of renewing your car registration is to do so online. Renewing online allows you to receive discounts on your fees — all you need is the control number (located on the postcard you received in the mail), license plate number, and your credit card information.
- Visit the MVD: If you’re unable to renew your registration online or through the mail, the best way to renew is to go to the MVD.
Ready to Renew Your Vehicle Registration?
If it’s time to renew your vehicle registration, don’t wait until your registration is already expired. At MVD Express, we give you the option of scheduling your appointment in advance, allowing you to come in, pay for your renewal, and get on with your day. The last thing we want is for you to be inconvenienced by unnecessary fees. In fact, at MVD Express, we even give you the option of renewing your vehicle over the phone! Ready to get started? Contact MVD Express to renew your registration or schedule an appointment today.