Though your car has been with you through speeding tickets and road trips, you’ve decided that it’s time to sell. Although it’s never easy to part with something that’s been with you through good and bad times, selling your car may be practical and economical. If you’ve never sold a car before, we’ve got a few tips to help you out!
Selling Your Car in 5 Steps
Selling your car is easiest when you are prepared. Knowing the value of your car from the start and looking at the general market can give you a better idea of what someone would be willing to pay for it. When you have decided to sell your car:
1. Know the value of your car. Check websites like Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds to see the current market value. Also check to see if any local dealerships or private sellers are selling the same make, model, and year of your car to see what they are pricing it at.
2. Give it a short makeover. Wash your car. Clean the seats. Always give a potential buyer the best possible image of your car, and highlight the great parts or special features.
3. List your car. Places like Craigslist will allow you to do so for free. Also check local newspapers for their current rates. You can even let friends and family know that you’re selling your car and to spread the word.
4. Show your car to potential buyers. Make sure you emphasize any benefits that your car has, such as a sun roof or a rearview camera. Also let the potential buyer know of any major replacements or modifications that you have given to the car.
5. Negotiate and finalize the sale. Many car buyers will attempt to negotiate a price with a seller. If you are confident that you have priced your car competitively and the buyer is negotiating for a price far below what you were asking, it’s okay to say no. If all terms are agreeable, you’ll need to transfer the title and other potential paperwork to the buyer.
If you have questions about what paperwork will be needed to finalize the sale of your car, contact a customer service agent at MVD Express. Our knowledgeable associates will help you through the process to have all paperwork completed legally and quickly to facilitate the sale.